Reference documents and links
1. For more information please go to: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/cedar/better
2. Dockrell, J., Lindsay, G., Roulstone, S., & Law, J. (2014) Supporting children with speech, language and communication needs: an overview of the results of the better communication research programme International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders Vol.49 No. 5 pp 543-557
6. DfE(2014) Special educational needs and disability code of practice: 0 to 25 years DFE-00205-2013 HMSO https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/send-code-of-practice-0-to-25
7. Health and Social Care Act, 2012 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/7/contents/enacted
8. Children and Families Act, 2014 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2014/6/contents/enacted
9. Department for Education (2014), Special Educational Needs in England: January 2014. See the national tables
10. Locke, E., Ginsborg, J., and Peers, I. (2002) Development and Disadvantage: implications for early years. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders. 27 (1) 3 -15
20. Meschi, E., et al (2012) ibid.
21. Bercow, J. (2008) The Bercow Report: A review of services for children and young people (0-19) with speech, language and communication needs. Nottingham: DCSF.https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/Bercow-Report.pdf
22. See Annex 1 for the summary of prevalence data from the Bercow Review
23. Gascoigne, M.T. (Ed), (2012) Better Communication: Shaping speech, language and communication services for children and young people. London: RCSLT http://www.rcslt.org/speech_and_language_therapy/commissioning/better_communication
24. Gascoigne, M,T. (2014) Implementing the SEND Reforms: Focus on children and young people with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) London: The Communication Trust
26. Snowling, M. J., Hulme, C., Bailey, A. M., Stothard, S. E., & Lindsay (2011). Better communication research project: Language and literacy attainment of pupils during early years and through KS2: Does teacher assessment at five provide a valid measure of children’s current and future educational attainments? DFE-RR172a. London: DfE.https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/DFE-RR172a.pdf (Technical report: BCRP 14)
28. Snowling, M. J., et al ibid.
30. Lindsay, G., Dockrell, J.E., Law, J., Roulstone, S., & Vignoles, A. (2010) Better communication research programme 1st interim report DfE-RR070. London: DfE. (70pp).http://publications.education.gov.uk/eOrderingDownload/DFE-RR070.pdf
Fuchs D. & Fuchs L.S. (2006) Introduction to response to intervention: what, why, and how valid is it? Reading Research Quarterly, 41, 93–99.